UK Power Networks (Operations) Ltd (UKPN) which maintains the power distribution supplies to London, the South East and East of England has been fined £1million after a member of the public was electrocuted by a low-hanging high voltage power cable in July 2012.
Dr James Kew was running on land in Newport, Saffron Walden, Essex, when he came into contact with a cable which should have been 5.5 metres above ground.
Chelmsford Crown Court heard the high voltage cable was only 1.5m above ground (at its lowest point), straddling a well-used footpath, after parts of a porcelain insulator disintegrated on a wooden pole supporting the power cable.
HSE investigators found that an insulator on a pole mounted, overhead high voltage power line had failed. This resulted in a conductor falling to 1.5m above a cornfield. The conductor (now suspended across the public footpath) was connected to the power supply and energised at 11KV.
We have to work together to keep our workers and community safe. Our hearts go out to the family of Dr. James Kew. Help us, help keep the work site safe today. Download CCS Safety to make this possible.